Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Ooooookay . . . so now what?

Traffic signs for the most part are intended to be universal. Asians, Europeans, Australians, Latins, and Americans can generally follow road signs regarding speed limits, curves, railroad crossings, one way streets, stop signs, parking, no parking and traffic lights no matter where they are.

I’ve been fortunate enough to have traveled to a number of countries and even to have successfully driven (meaning I’m still alive to talk about it) in many of them, despite my English-only language skills. However, I saw this pair of signs in Connecticut, and I haven’t a clue as to what it means.

The more I think about it, the more I’m beginning to think the dueling arrows are a sign of our times. No one seems to know which direction to go and what they’ll run into when they get there. Some on the right have turned left, and some on the left have turned right. Who or what is in the center dividing us? Are we on a crash course to destruction, or will we eventually just meet in the middle?

No comments:

Post a Comment