Thursday, July 14, 2011

Superman's point of view

"Faster than a speeding bullet! More powerful than a locomotive! Able to leap tall buildings in a single bound! Look! Up in the sky! It's a bird! It's a plane! It's Superman!" But, did you ever wonder what it was really like from his point of view? I mean how about soaring through the grand canyons of a grand city forty stories above street level? All you can see below are the rooftops of yellow cabs and black limousines.

Now I don’t mind heights as long as they are safe. I’ve gone up in man lifts, planes and cranes to photograph buildings, bridges and dams, but unlike Superman, I’m always attached. The downside of looking from above is losing sight of people. The higher we go, the smaller and more similar they become. We can no longer hear them. In fact, we can barely see them as they scurry from point A to B. We lose sight of their uniqueness, their personalities, their skills, and who they really are.

The same is so often true in life. The higher that people move in their career or social status, the less significant those who helped get them to the top become. Whenever I was lifted or hoisted up high to look down, I always rewarded the person at the controls, the one who got me there. After all, my life was in their hands, and they could make my ride as rough, or as smooth as they wanted too, depending on how I treated them.

I know it takes some of the “super” out of the “man,” but everyone needs a little help getting to the top. Just don’t forget who put you there.

No comments:

Post a Comment