Tuesday, December 20, 2011

We three kings of orient are . . .

In order to get into the spirit of Christmas this year, we decided to photograph nativities in some of northwestern Connecticut's town squares. We started, of course, at the nativity on  the town green in Bethlehem, Connecticut. Lois took a few shots until she realized I was beginning to have conversations with some of the characters and thought it was time to hide behind the manger until I was done. I mean how often does one get to talk to wise men from the East. Passing cars slowed down to watch and listen, but no one interrupted us.

They told me about the star that they had followed and how far they had traveled to pay homage to the infant king that had long been prophesied and to give him some very valuable gifts. They also told me how king Herod had tried to trick them into telling him where Jesus was as he thought the newborn king would usurp his throne. Fortunately, they caught on, Mary and Joseph took Jesus to Egypt, and the Magi left by a different route to avoid Herod.

Is it any wonder that Lois went behind the stable to wait until we were done with our conversation? I look forward to the day when I will have the opportunity to finish the conversation with the Magi in heaven. But then I have so many questions, it will take an eternity to get them all answered.

No comments:

Post a Comment