Saturday, March 24, 2012

Fair weather friends

Warm weather brings out some of the coolest people, many of whom become my "new best friends," at least for ten or fifteen minutes, anyway. We found this musical duo on a bench in Collinsville, Connecticut. We were eating lunch at a sidewalk table in front of the Lasalle Market & Deli, across the street, and these guys were just enjoying the surprisingly warm 80 degree day in March, as they laughed and strummed.

Neither one sang, nor did they play loud enough or long enough to gather a crowd. In fact, I was the only crowd, as Lois went and hid in the car as soon as she saw me take off my glasses and pick up my camera. It seems she knew we weren't leaving soon.

I did my usual preliminary check for visible gang tattoos, chains, brass knuckles, guns or knives before I moved in and started photographing them. I always use a wide angle lens for subjects like this, and then get in as close as I can, well inside their personal space.

I'm not sure why one has such a surprised look on his face. Could it be because I was resting my elbow on his knee? Perhaps, but when his friend pointed his finger at me and said, "Are you going to let him get away with that?", I decided it was time to leave.

P.S. Always carry a camera, and don't be afraid to use it!

No comments:

Post a Comment