Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Times Square tourist trap

I always wondered what "M&M" stood for. Now I know, "Monster Merchandiser."

We met our daughter and her family in New York City last month for a day of sightseeing and fun. We ended our day at the M&M store on Times Square, truly a monument of "gotcha" merchandising.

They had every toy, shirt, puzzle, car, truck, and hat that ever bore the M&M logo, even boxer shorts. As usual, I set off all the sirens on the toy police cars and fire engines, just like I do in Kmart at Christmas, but my family has learned to ignore me when I do that -- then I spotted the M&M dispenser wall.

The dispenser wall was actually about one hundred or more ten-foot long clear acrylic tubes with a nozzle at the bottom, similar to a coffee bean dispenser at the grocery store. It was a chocoholic's delight, and yes, I was in candy-coated peanut heaven. There were plastic bags conveniently located at the end of the wall just waiting to be loaded. My son-in-law and I both missed the small print $13 per pound sign and just started loading our bags with our favorite colors.

We got to the scale at the end of the wall and figured we probably had about ten dollars worth of M&Ms each. He was several places in line ahead of me so I couldn't see his total, but I did see him put his cash away and whip out a credit card. I chuckled until it was my turn, yikes!

Suffice it to say, we counted out a portion each day, just like vitamin pills, and savored every last one as we let them melt in our mouth, right down to the peanut.



No comments:

Post a Comment