Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Burned by Kindle

Until 2007, to "kindle" meant to start burning, to stir up or cause to glow, but the introduction of the Amazon Kindle gave new meaning to the word and to how we read. The latest version of Kindle will hold about 1500 books. Yet for many book aficionados, there's a special feeling about holding a book and turning pages that is just not the same as holding the equivalent of a small notebook computer screen and scrolling electronically from page to page.

So what's going to happen to all those hardcover books as people get attached to their Kindles? And what about those favorite bookmarks that you have so carefully preserved over the years? Then there are those who will never be able to turn down the corner of a page to mark their favorite spot. Soon, people will be flocking to the dollar boxes at the flea market like bargain hunters to a Filene's basement sale .

4 comments:

  1. I own a Kindle and just love it! I can carry it in my purse at all times and pull it out whenever/wherever I am. I can download a book within seconds....many of them I currently have on my Kindle were FREE!

    And...you can even bookmark and turn down your 'pages' on your electronic Kindle :)

    Michele Geiger (Troy's aunt...Kurt's wife)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We know who you are, Michele! Hope all is well with you and yours. Good to hear from you.
    Blessings, Lois & Ken

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a "hold in your hands and turn the pages of a book" kind of person, for now...

    Though, I might be tempted to own a Kindle someday, just because everybody would have one... Just like the Facebook. I got my account there just because EVERYBODY WAS THERE!:) I guess we people like the herd psychology...

    And by the way, this Kindle will be the end of "book lending", which might be a good thing, because nobody ever returns them!:)

    Meanwhile, they should figure out a way `to kindle` (here's a new meaning to add to the dictionary - just like "to google"), those huge school books, so they could save the poor children some back pain!! Don't you think??

    By the way, if I were you, I would save all those old books in your library instead of selling them for a penny; because you might be owning an "endangered specie" one day and you might get rich...;)

    (Mom, I might have made some spelling mistakes, sorry, you know me:)...)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pinar, you crack me up :-)
    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete