Thursday, April 8, 2010

Three men and a . . . bench

It's not quite a movie, but they are just as entertaining. Three men on a Waterbury, CT, town green bench from the back doesn't say much other than, "I hope these guys don't catch me taking their picture," but it would still be boring until you start watching for the gesture.

New York photographer Jay Maisel describes "gesture" as one key element that so many photographers leave out of a picture. It's the element that ties people and objects together. I actually photographed these "benchkins" for about ten minutes, but nothing was really going on until the man on the left began telling a story. It was only then that the gestures began. I'm not sure the other two were really listening, which only made his gestures more pronounced.

I realize there are some gestures that shouldn't be photographed, especially when they are directed at me after I have been watching someone for while. Fortunately, I'm bigger than most of the street people that I photograph, and I have gotten over my shyness, as you will see in tomorrow's blog, provided I'm not afraid to post it.

No comments:

Post a Comment