Wednesday, July 28, 2010

American smile

When I was growing up, I was always told, “Never talk to strangers,” but then I was never one to follow all the rules. If you want to capture the flavor of urban culture, you can’t just photograph buildings, doorknobs and street signs. You have to include people. You need to talk to strangers.

By the time I finish walking through an urban setting with a camera, I have made perhaps a dozen new friends. We may not speak the same language and we will probably never see each other again, but for a brief moment we connected. Other times it will be a lengthy conversation where I will get a glimpse into their life along with a host of images to visually capture their character.

This young man and his friend were standing outside a store when we walked past. We took a picture or two and he just started grinning from ear to ear. So we took some more. Will we ever see each other again? Probably not, but for a brief moment our cultures connected.

No comments:

Post a Comment