Sunday, October 10, 2010

White birch memories

During the summer months in New England, many people put candles, pictures, figurines, or some other decorative item in their fireplaces until the cold returns in the fall and it’s time to bring in the logs and settle down to a warm fire.

On one of our trips back to New England, after my parents relocated from Rhode Island to Cleveland, we brought back three white birch logs to put in our fireplace each summer. It was emotional comfort for mom and dad as they reminded them of the beauty of New England, but the logs never saw the light or felt the heat of a match. They were just decoration. Each fall, it was my job to carefully wrap the “sacred” logs and put them back in the attic so we could use the fireplace. As I recall, my parents even planted a white birch sapling in our yard when I was a young tree climber. Unfortunately, it was too young to survive my climbing, and I was too young to know better.

A few years after we were married, we bought my parent’s house, and yes, the “sacred” birch logs were included. They were considerably lighter in weight than I had remembered, but they had long dried out, and in our last winter in that house, we found they didn’t burn well, either.

1 comment:

  1. Looked through your portfolio Ken. You have two very strong areas - your black and white work in the city are amazing. You have a real knack for catching the intricate details in a beautiful palette of greys. Equally the florals are fabulous. Fantastic images of trees, flowers and leaves. Would like to see more of the two areas on your site. The editorial and people material are okay - but the architecture and floral work is powerful stuff!

    ReplyDelete