Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Election Day

Here's a little reminder about how easy the voting process was in colonial times. There were no voting machines, no hanging-chad punch cards, no electronic ballot readers or scanners, and no programmable entry devices. Voting was as simple as putting a mark beside someone's name.

When I voted today, I was handed a ballot the size of a spread sheet with nine parties listed down the left side, four of which were totally new to me. But that was okay as some candidates were running with more than one party endorsement, anyway.

I picked up the felt tipped pen in the booth and followed the instructions, "Be sure to completely fill-in the oval next to the candidate of your choice." I felt like I was taking the SATs back in high school as I "completely" colored in the little oval next to each candidate's name so a machine could read it. Like the SATs, I colored in one row all the way across the ballot. Yes, I voted a party line, and one I had heard of before, too. While it didn't do much for me on my SATs, I hope I score better on today's ballot.

No comments:

Post a Comment