Monday, January 10, 2011

Which way is . . . wait a minute, where do I go?

One of the advantages for universal symbols in signage is to help us understand where to go, regardless of where we are. I realize it’s based on the concept of “a picture is worth a thousand words,” but are there really enough words to explain this one. I mean, which way do I go, and what’s going to be there when I arrive?

Does the wheel chair ramp go to up to the exit, through the sign and out, or do I go down the ramp backwards to arrive at whatever the sign above it symbolizes? It could be anything from an airport bar to a DMV vision test. It could even be someone getting a dog license at city hall.

I’m beginning to think that the pictures could represent almost anything in a thousand word vocabulary, but the easiest symbol to read is “EXIT.” Perhaps that’s the most universal sign of all, and it’s the only one that is spelled out.

How do you read this sign, and where will you be when you get there?

No comments:

Post a Comment