Saturday, June 18, 2011

Dandelion, weed or wildflower?

It was suggested today that I mow the lawn or else rent a bailer next week before I cut it, but as I looked out over my carefully manicured field of yellow and green, I thought it was time to declare the ever present dandelion a wildflower that should not be recklessly mowed down like common grass. I chose to admire its beauty for at least another day.

To justify my decision, I did a Google search to support my wildflower theory and to see if is used for anything other than dandelion wine. I was blown away by what I found. So, sit back and read on to see if you should mow or harvest your field of yellow.

The fresh juice of Dandelion is applied externally to fight bacteria and help heal wounds. The plant has an antibacterial action, inhibiting the growth of Staphococcus aureus, pneumococci, meningococci, Bacillus dysenteriae, B. typhi, C. diphtheriae, proteus. And if that wasn’t enough, the latex contained in the plant sap can be used to remove corns and warts.

Dandelion is also used for the treatment of the gall bladder, kidney and urinary disorders, gallstones, jaundice, cirrhosis, hypoglycemia, dyspepsia with constipation, edema associated with high blood pressure and heart weakness, chronic joint and skin complaints, gout, eczema and acne. As a tonic, Dandelion strengthens the kidneys. An infusion of the root encourages the steady elimination of toxins from the body. Dandelion is a powerful diuretic but does not deplete the body of potassium.

Dandelion can be used as a tonic and blood purifier, for constipation, inflammatory skin conditions, joint pain, eczema and liver dysfunction, including liver conditions such as hepatitis and jaundice.

When placed in a paper bag with unripe fruit, the flowers and leaves of Dandelion release ethylene gas ripening the fruit quickly. A liquid plant food is made from the root and leaves. A dark red dye is obtained from Dandelion root. A cosmetic skin lotion made from the appendages at the base of the leaf blades distilled in water, is used to clear the skin and is effective in fading freckles.

Dandelion is a very easily grown plant, it succeeds in most soils and my lawn, of course. So now, I’m beginning to wonder if there is a viable market for my precious and abundant yellow wildflowers growing randomly throughout my yard. Should I mow or harvest? Only time will tell, unless of course Lois tells me first. Then I guess I’ll have to wait for a new crop next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment