Saturday, February 18, 2012

My Starbucks culture

It's no secret that I am a Starbucks groupie, but I'm really glad I narrowed my choice of favorite brew and blended specialty, or "foo," drinks early. Now, it seems their store menu boards offer more options than a Chinese restaurant, and if that's not enough, you can make up your own.

As for me, I can say, "grande mocha, extra hot, whole milk, whipped cream, double cup, please," faster than a disclaimer voice in a fifteen second pharmaceutical TV spot. In fact, I can even walk into to our local Starbucks in the afternoon and hold up one or two fingers and they know I want either one regular, or a regular and a decaf. I guess you can tell by the picture who doesn't drink decaf.

Yes, Starbucks has become my international "Cheers." You know, the place where everyone knows your name. I even have a gold card that is like a frequent buyer's card, and an iPhone app. The card entitles me to a free specialty drink after earning a certain number of gold stars. For what it's worth, I have probably earned more gold stars than frequent flier miles in the past year. The app figures out where I am, and then tells me where the nearest stores are. There are literally hundreds in New York City catering primarily to the A-type gulp and run crowd. I even found five of the seven Starbucks located in the Hong Kong airport while passing the time during a flight layover once.

Perhaps it's time for some therapy. No, wait, I think I'll get another venti, bold, black coffee - then therapy. It's my culture.

No comments:

Post a Comment