Tuesday, September 7, 2010

A boy’s real best friend

Boys are boys no matter where they live in the world. This little Honduran boy kept getting pushed aside by other kids who wanted to be photographed with their friends. After a few pictures of the group, I said, “Gracias,” and put the camera down. They all left except him. After all, it was his donkey, not theirs.

I think his little grin was one of satisfaction. He knew if he put up with the bullying long enough, everyone would eventually leave, and they did. Finally, he was on stage all alone. We communicated with each other in a nonverbal sort of way. He had just heard me speak all the Spanish I knew, yet there was still a connection. I’m not sure what it was, but based on his quirky little “gotcha” grin, he had outsmarted the big kids once again.

No comments:

Post a Comment