Sunday, September 5, 2010

Tattoos


When I was in the Navy, a lot of my crewmembers would get tattoos that said, “I love Lucy,” or whatever their girlfriend’s name was when they left port. A permanent inscription was a commitment that he would remain true to her while on a seven month cruise to the Mediterranean. Unfortunately, upon returning, his or her commitment had waned and he would have to find another “true love” with the same first name or have one name removed and another name etched into his arm.

Over the years, I have watched tattoos change from messages of love and commitment to messages, fine art, and personal expression. I found this lady taking a break from a long day of riding her Harley with a bunch of friends in upstate New York. Because she was probably tougher than me, I first complemented her on her tattoos and then I asked if I could photograph her. She was eager to oblige, and I was just as eager to do it, quickly. I’m sure she had plenty more that I couldn’t see, but I wasn’t about to find out where.

No comments:

Post a Comment