Monday, April 18, 2011

A new personal project

It seems every photographer has a personal project of one kind or another. Some people photograph ironic road signs, others iconic farm signs, and still others, photograph people engaged in a specific occupations or trades. Some take one photograph a day in a certain area, but they do it every day. One friend photographs remote houses and dwellings all over the world.

I've got a few subjects that I watch out for whenever I shoot. If you have been following our blog, you are probably aware by now that I like to photograph hands, barns, people on the street, and patterns. In fact, we just finished a very cool project with nearly 200 hand images in one 16x20 inch framed print. The images were selected from among thousands that I have photographed over the past ten years. It brought back many wonderful memories of some amazing people.

A few weeks ago when we were site scouting for our next photography workshop, we found this S-shaped raised walkway. Now we have a new personal project - find all the letters of the alphabet in our daily environment. Any suggestions?


6 comments:

  1. See if you can find a copy of "Archabet" by Balthazar Korab. Will give you ideas from A to Z - literally. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Marty. I will look for a copy. k

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've seen this done with exclusively butterfly and moth wing patterns, and as Marty points out, with architecture. Perhaps narrow your scope a bit, make it a more intense challenge by limiting it to 'roads and paths' or 'plants / flowers / foliage' or even 'barn / farm apparatus'.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good ideas, Chris, thanks. I'll pass on the insects as the other stuff is more what I have in mind. I also have to see what can be pulled out of our current stock, as well. k

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just keep my eye out, especially when out somewhere taking pics anyway. But I've mostly been taking "A"'s for my last name.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Names that start at the beginning of the alphabet always get off easier than us W's. I have to do 22 letters before I get to W. I might start with the Canadian alphabet as it has two less letters. k

    ReplyDelete