Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Working hands

For the past couple of months, we have been working on two illustrations of Ephesians 2:10 in the New Testament. In essence the verse says that we are God's workmanship, His art, His masterpiece. We were created by His own hands. While I realize that not everyone shares the same faith as Lois and I, this artwork is nevertheless a personal project of hands that I hope all will appreciate.

As I have photographed people's hands in many parts of the world, I have come to realize that God placed these words and a camera in my hands so that I would, "Perpetuate His memory to all generations, so that all nations will praise His name for ever and ever." Ps. 45:17

The composite 16x20 print includes not only my hands, but 130 thumbnail prints of working hands of people from British royalty, to Hollywood and Honduras, Bermuda, Thailand, and all over the United States. They include blacksmiths, potters, mechanics, illustrators, the NFL, race drivers, gardeners, musicians, pit crews, moms, dads, grandparents, and newborns, just to name a few - really! Oh, and like Norman Rockwell, I'm in the upper right corner.

Lois worked on a separate illustration of the same verse. Both framed pieces will hang along with others at Wellspring Church, in Kensington, CT, for a year beginning next month.

No comments:

Post a Comment