Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Spring

Even though it's the first part of May, and I know we shouldn't get any more snow, I am always the last one on our street to pull up the stakes that mark the edge of our driveway for snow removal and to mow the lawn. But before I do either of those tasks, I make an annual pilgrimage to the Laurel Ridge planting to walk among millions of daffodils spread across acre after acre of rolling hills. Then I know spring has officially arrived.

In 1941, Litchfield Connecticut residents, Remy and Virginia Morosani, planted ten thousand daffodils on a section of their farm that was too rocky for raising crops. Each year since then the daffodil population has doubled in size and now the planting is one of the most brilliant natural displays of spring that you can imagine.

As I look at the path that wanders off the top of the ridge, I can't help but wonder what's ahead for the rest of the year. Is it a path that I want to follow, or should I just stay here and appreciate the beauty that I can see?

No comments:

Post a Comment