Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Freefall

Have you ever carried a camera into the grocery store, especially in the produce section? Now that I carry a camera just about everywhere I go, I see things that never caught my eye before. While I don't eat everything, I do look at everything for the color and shape.

Peppers, onions, potatoes, leeks, lettuce, oranges, apples, bananas, plantains and a host of other stuff in every color imaginable. It's stacked, bundled, bunched and laid out in rows just waiting to be photographed. Perhaps the coolest part is the illusion of isolation. These apples were actually laid out in horizontal rows, but we isolated them from their surroundings and rotated the picture vertically to give the illusion of freefall.

The only problem I ran into that afternoon was a customer who thought I worked for the government and had found some contaminated or mishandled food. He was actually apprehensive about whether he should buy it, or not. After I explained what I was really doing, I stopped photographing and came back late at night with the store manager's permission to finish the fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment