Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Serenity


This still life in the window of a local historic landmark just pulled me in last week. It was late afternoon and the home was closed to visitors for the day, but I was struck by a feeling of serenity as I walked around outside looking in trying to get a glimpse of the past. The round vases and the books framed in the shadow of the late afternoon sun offered a brief respite. But as I looked, I found myself looking out the window on the other side wondering what was beyond the otherwise unlit room. It was a beautiful home and I'm sure the original owners often looked out the same window more than 250 years ago wondering what was ahead.

While so many changes in technology, culture and lifestyle have occurred since this home was built, we can still appreciate the serenity offered by a still life in an empty room, wondering what's ahead, and yes, what mysteries lie beyond the second window. We just need to take time to stop and look.


No comments:

Post a Comment