Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Summer snowflake


There's nothing like Queen Anne's lace to cool down a hot summer day as long as you imagine it as a delicate summer snowflake. Like winter snow, it seems to be everywhere along the side of the road, in our garden, or in an untended field. From a distance, it looks like any wildflower, but up close you realize what appears to be one large blossom is in fact hundreds or perhaps thousands of tiny blossoms in clusters around the center. In fact, if you look closely, you can make out six sides, just like a snowflake.
Maybe it doesn't take so much imagination, after all.

1 comment:

  1. I have such fond childhood memories of this wildflower! Excitedly, I would gather a handful and run into the house with them. After adding some red or blue or green or yellow food coloring to a glass of water, I'd gently lower the stems into the water and then sit and wait for those tiny blossoms to turn the shade of the colored water. Some times I would be adventurous and mix food colorings and make green or purple!! I suspect I was not the only one that looked forward to this annual summer ritual!

    ReplyDelete